What is Automation Testing?
Automation Testing/Test Automation is testing software which is performed using special automated testing software tools for the execution of a test case suite. On the other hand, manual testing is done by a human, who sits in front of the computer executing every step of the test with utmost care.
Automation testing software is able to compare expected and real results, enter the test information in the System Under Test and create a detailed test report. However, Software Test Automation needs huge investments in terms of resources and money.
Test Automation is the most useful method to increase test coverage, execution speed, and the effectiveness in software testing. Automated software testing is essential because:
- Manual Testing of all fields, all negative scenarios, all workflows consumes too much money and time
- Manual testing for multilingual sites is difficult.
- There is minimum need for human intervention in Test Automation in testing software.
- There is an increase in the speed of test execution.
- Automation has large test coverage
- There is more chance of error in manual testing
What Is The Process Of Automate Testing?
Follow the below given steps:
1st step – Test Tool Selection
2nd step – Define the scope of Automation
3rd step – Planning, Design and Development
4th step – Test Execution
5th step – Maintenance
Test Tool Selection
It majorly depends on which technology your Application Under Test is built.
Define the Scope of Automation
It is the area of the Application Under Test that will get automated. Below given points will help you determine the scope:
- The features which are essential for the business
- Scenarios that contain huge data
- Technical feasibility
- The limit up to which components of the business are reused
- The complication in test cases
- Capability of using same test cases for different browsers
Planning, Design and Development
In this stage, you create an Automation plan and strategy. It contains:
- Automation tools selected
- Framework design and characteristics
- Out-of-scope and in-scope items of automation
- Automation tested preparations
- Timeline & Schedule of scripting and execution
- Deliverables of Automation Testing
Automation Scripts are executed in this phase. You need to input test data in the scripts before they are all set to run. After execution, they offer detailed test reports.
You can perform the execution directly with an automation tool or from a Test Management tool that will in turn use the automation tool.
Test Automation Maintenance Approach
It is an automation testing phase. It is carried out in order to test if the new functionalities added in the software are properly working or not.
For successive development cycles, the same test suite has to be repeated. With a test automation tool, you can record this test suite and re-play it according to your requirements. Once the automation of the test suite is done, there is no need for human intervention. This enhances the ROI of Test Automation. The motive of automation is to decrease the number of cases that have to run with the help of a human and not to eliminate the Manual Testing.
What are the Different Frameworks for Automation
It is a set of Automation guidelines. It helps in:
- Keep consistency of Testing
- Better test structure/li>
- Minimum using of code
- Decreased maintenance of code
- Enhance re-usability
- Non Technical testers can also become of code
- Training period to use code can be decreased
- Involves data wherever it can
What are Automation Tool Best Practices?
To get most ROI of automation, follow the below given points:
- The scope of Automation has to be decided in detail even before the project begins. This sets the right expectations from Automation.
- Choose an appropriate automation tool. Do not choose a tool until it provides what you are looking for.
- Select the right framework.
These guidelines will help you to perform a successful automation.
What are the Advantages of Automation Testing?
- 70% faster compared to manual testing
- Broader test coverage
- Reliable results
- Maintain consistency
- Cost and time efficient
- Better accuracy
- Minimum human intervention
- Improves efficiency
- Faster in executing tests
- Reusable test scripts
- Test thoroughly and more often
Which are the types of automation testing?
- Smoke testing
- Unit testing
- Integration testing
- Functional testing
- Keyword testing
- Regression testing
- Data driven testing
- Black box testing
How to Choose an Automation Tool?
Choosing an appropriate tool can be challenging. Below given criteria will help you choose the best automation tool:
- Environment support
- Easy to use
- Testing of Database
- Object identification
- Image Testing
- Object Mapping
- Error Recovery Testing
- Scripting Language Used
- Support for different types of test
- Supports multiple framework
- Easily debugs automating testing scripts
- Capability of recognizing object in every environment
- Elaborate test results and reports
- Decreases training cost of chosen tools
Types of Automation Testing
Usually, there are two types of testing.
- Functional testing: It tests what are the real world applications of the software.
- Non-functional testing: It tests the various software needs such as data storage and security.
So many specific types of testing come into these two categories, some of them may even overlap. The types of automation testing are:
- Unit Testing
- Smoke Tests
- Integration Tests
- Regression Tests
- API Testing
- Security Tests
- Performance Tests
- Acceptance Tests
- UI Tests
What Are Automation Testing Tools?
An automation testing software tool is a software which allows you to define testing and then performs the test for you. Minimum human intervention is needed for this.
A wide variety of automation testing tools are available to test on various platforms such as mobile devices, smartphones, and desktop computers. As there is minimal human intervention, these tools help speed up execution process.
Which are The Demo Websites To Practice Automation Testing?
- Any Travel Website
Why Selenium with Python Is The Best for Automation?
Selenium is a powerful set of tools which strongly supports the fast development of test automation of web applications. It provides testing functions which are especially designed according to the needs of a web application. These functions are dependable, facilitating different options for placement of UI elements and comparing the expected results with the real application behavior. For its test automation, it uses many different languages.
Python is an object-based and high level scripting language. It is designed in a very user-friendly manner. It uses simple English keywords which are very easy to interpret. When it comes to programming, it has less syntax than other languages.
The reasons are:
- It is easy to read and code
- It runs fast when comparing with another programming
- It provides dynamic typing nature
- So many programmers are used to Python as a language
- The API used by Python allows you to connect to the browser with the help of Selenium.
- Python has easy suing and few verbose compared to other programming languages
- Python runs quickly and uses indentation to start and end blocks
- Python provides a very good supporting system
- The language is free and available as an open source